Follicular Dendritic Cell Sarcoma with Metastases Social Security Disability
Each and every year the SSA receives millions of disability claims from individuals who suffer from disabilities that are so severe that they are no longer able to perform substantial gainful work activity. Each and every year, the majority of these claims are denied during the initial stage of the application process. This results in a long and drawn-out appeal process that can take years to complete. Unfortunately, some disability applicants do not have years to wait for benefits to be approved. The SSA has recognized this fact and created the Compassionate Allowances guidelines, which allows an applicant to be approved for benefits in a matter of weeks rather than having to wait months or years for disability payments to begin. Follicular Dendritic Cell Sarcoma with metastases is one of the conditions that have recently been added to the Compassionate Allowances listings.
Follicular Dendritic Cell Sarcoma with Metastases - Condition and Symptoms
Follicular Dendritic Cell Sarcoma is a particular type of neoplasm. While this neoplasm is very rare (accounting for only about 0.4 percent of soft tissue sarcomas), it is usually very serious since, in most cases, the condition has metastasized by the time the cancer is diagnosed. This particular type of cancer is also known for its high chance of being recurrent.
One of the reasons for the high metastasis rate is that this particular form of cancer can be hard to diagnose. This is due to the fact that the symptoms of this cancer are similar to those found in patients suffering from Hodgkin and non-Hodgkin lymphomas.
The majority (approximately 70 percent) of Follicular Dendritic Cell Sarcomas develop in the lymph nodes of the body. In the other 30 percent of cases, the cancer usually develops in the spleen, liver, bowels and/or pancreas.
Symptoms of Follicular Dendritic Cell Sarcoma vary depending on the stage of the cancer and where the cancer originated. Common symptoms of the condition include swelling of the lymph nodes, cough, sore throat, difficulty swallowing, fatigue and unexplained weight loss.
The exact cause of Dendritic Cell Sarcoma with metastases is unknown. One reason for the cause remaining unknown is that the disease is so rare there has not been much opportunity to study this particular cancer type. Researchers have, however, been able find signs of a link of this particular form of cancer to Castleman’s Disease; although more research needs to be done to affirm this link.
Filing for Disability Benefits with Dendritic Cell Sarcoma with Metastases
When you are diagnosed with Dendritic Cell Sarcoma with metastases you should file for Social Security Disability benefits as soon as possible. It is important to note, however, that a diagnosis itself will not be sufficient enough for the SSA to award the disability benefits you seek. You must be able to prove that the condition prevents you from performing any type of work activity.
In order to prove your case to the Social Security Administration you will want to be as detailed as possible when filling out the disability claim forms. The answers that you provide on these forms will help the SSA understand how the condition interferes with your everyday activities.
In addition to the answers you provide on the disability claim forms, you will also need to furnish the SSA with sufficient medical evidence to support your case. Imaging results, lab reports, treatment histories and written statements from your treating physician will all be taken into consideration when the SSA is deciding whether or not to approve your Social Security Disability benefits.
Follicular Dendritic Cell Sarcoma and Your Social Security Disability Case
While it is not common for the SSA to deny a disability claim that is based on a Compassionate Allowances listing, it has been known to happen. This is usually the result of improperly completed claim forms or a lack of supporting medical evidence. If you want to reduce the risk of having your initial claim for benefits denied, you should consider retaining the services of a Social Security Disability attorney.
A disability attorney knows what the SSA needs to see in order to approve a claim for disability benefits. Your attorney can go over your claim forms with you, pointing out any weak spots and helping you address those areas of the claim before the claim is submitted. Your attorney can also help you gather the medical evidence that will be necessary to prove your case to the Social Security Administration.
To learn more about the Social Security Compassionate Allowances listings or to find out if you may qualify for Social Security Disability benefits due to a diagnosis of Follicular Dendritic Cell Sarcoma, click here for a free evaluation of your disability case.
- Do You Qualify?
- Application Process
- Medical Conditions
- Disability Resources